Hailing from the Southern Hemisphere, you may find me online at ‘weird’ times; however, it is just my time zone coming into play and I am always around every day at some point. So if you can’t find me in the Cbox, I am always available via PM.
Together, the founders have a combined experience level of over 50 years, so you are in good hands. So draw up a chair by the log fire and stay a while or longer and immerse yourself into the world that has been created here at Heart of the West!
Outside of writing, she enjoys video games and long walks on the beach. ...Not really. She hates the ocean.
Additionally, Blue is one of those weird math and science people who also enjoys writing, and she has been writing for over ten years. She loves good plotting, character development, and is always a sucker for a happy ending.
Cattle Barons want to expand their herds, while farmers are struggling to work the land. Greedy Miners are at odds with each other and the Natives who believe their land is sacred. The soldiers of Fort Langden have their hands full managing the situation and local law enforcement who resent their presence. Men and women looking for their fortunes have been flooding in since the rumors of gold running under the mountain came to light, and while the influx of people has been good for business, the proprietors are just waiting for the bubble to burst.
The place is a powder keg and all it'll take is a spark to set it off.
Come explore the sprawling western town with its various array of characters or wander the range where the multitude of cattle roam, get involved in the lives of farmers struggling to hold off the pushy cattle barons encroaching on their lands or explore the dangerous world of coal mining.
Is the government corrupt?
Are the farmers right in their wild accusations?
Is there something fishy going on with the coal mines? Is there really a massive vein of gold deep within the mountains just waiting to be discovered? Or will you create your own adventure?
Start writing and find out!
GameDate: Friday, December 24, 1868.
From May 20th, 2017 everyone is invited to join in the festivities of Christmas at Heart of the West. This event will lead up to the annual change of game year and the 1st anniversary of the site in July.
Completed Jan 31st, 2017: Activity Check #1. Please PM the Admins if you missed it.
Dec 4th 2016: Important Update to the Rules and FAQ. Please ensure you read these changes.
Heart of the West was founded by a group of dedicated writers who hold a wealth of experience in both writing, coding, graphics, history and role-playing.
Some of what we bring to you is new and some we have brought with us from our individual places across the net. One thing you can be sure of is that we are fully committed to this site and the genre and one of us should usually be about to chat with you. We come from very varied time zones so please be aware of this when seeking one of us out!
|Help Search Members Calendar|
|Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )||Resend Validation Email|
Posted: Jul 9 2016, 08:13 AM
WELCOME TO THE FAQ!
Here we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions for you all in the event you get befuddled about one thing or another. If you do not see your question here feel free to PM an admin or post it in the Cbox if an admin is around, we all have bolded names in the box and can be spotted pretty easily. If enough people ask the same question, it will be added to this list.
• What year/season/month is it?o Our current year is displayed in the bottom right-hand corner of the banner! We play a whole year at a time on HotW, so your post can take place during any month of the posted year!
• Does my face claim have to be period correct?o No! If your play-by is an actor or actress that has never appeared in a western that is perfectly okay! Please use an image that is clothed appropriately. e.g no swimsuits etc
• Do I have to use a real person for my playby?o Nope! However, if you are using art instead of an actor or actress, we ask that you only use art you have created yourself.
• Can I take a character from a Book, Movie, TV show, Music Video or some other already publish medium and just use the same details here but just change the name?o No, that is called plagiarism and it will not be tolerated. Anything that is suspected to have been plagiarised will be asked to be changed and/or automatically denied.
• Then can I use a book etc character as inspiration if I change most if not all of the details of their history and personality?o Yes. As long as the character has been altered sufficiently to become original to you. The Admins reserve the right to decide if this is the case.
• What member group should I pick for my character?o That's up to you! If your character could fall into two or more categories, simply pick the one you think suits them the best! The current list of Member Groups is found HERE Be sure to read it before adding one to your application.
• Is there a word count?o There is not! We do ask that you avoid posting one-liners, however. A general rule of thumb is a few lines for reflection, a few lines for responding to the post before and a few lines of new content. Some players like to write long posts and others much shorter ones. Just give the person you are writing with something to reply to is the best advice.
• Do I need to edit my app and posts before submitting them?o Please do! Editing should be a rule of thumb when writing anything for the reading enjoyment of others. Overuse of the same word, spelling errors and a lack of punctuation generally cause a less than smooth reading experience.
NB. Please be aware that not all errors will be highlighted in a spellchecker, words like: there, their, and they're may be spelt correctly but not always used in the right place or context. All we ask is that you do your best and make an effort to edit.
• My username is incorrect, or I want to change it. How do I do that?o Simply notify an admin, and they can make the change for you! Or you can apply for a name change through the settings area of your account.
• Should I register with an OOC account?o Absolutely! This will be the account the admins and other players will use to contact you.You can link it to your character account/s in the settings area of your account. This is not the account to register your character app; a new account needs to be made for each character you wish to bring into the game.
• Who should I notify about site glitches?o Send a PM to Dusty! She will get it fixed as quickly as she is able; although, we cannot provide support for Internet Explorer issues. The site works best on Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Safari
• What exactly is Godmodding?o Godmodding is assuming and playing out the actions of any Playing character or owned NPC or Canon without the permission of either the writer of that character or the admins (in the case of unclaimed canons or NPCs.) Be aware that active members often own businesses in the townships with Playing Characters, thus stating your character was ignored or dealt with in a rude manner, is implying the PC was the one ignoring or being rude. This is Godmodding. If you are thinking about using a random NPC, please ask first.
• I’ve been having some issues with another player. How do I handle it?o Let a staff member know immediately. Be sure to tell us what the problem is so we can handle it appropriately.
• Can I jump into any posted thread?o If a thread is posted as ‘OPEN’, you may add your character to it. If a thread is closed, you must ask the players involved.
• I want to write a thread that goes beyond the 222 rating. Where should I put it?o Due to the Jcink Free Site ToS, anything that is listed in their terms of Mature is not permitted to be on this site. As per The Rules: Mature Content
• Do I need to fill out the info in my Avatar? And where do I do that?o Yes, you do. In the account settings, there is "Edit profile Info" on the left-hand side menu. Scroll down and fill in the Application Link, Character Age, Alias, Tracker Link, Gif (110x110 image of your character's face that may be animated or still - If you need to resize an animation we recommend ezgif.com) Occupation and Romantic Partner (if the have one).
• Why are my accounts Inactive and my character/s archived?o You have been away from the game for 30 days or more without notifying an Admin via PM or the AWAY NOTE forum. We have had to do this because it is unfair to new players who try to plot with your character with no response or to expect players you have been threading with to put their character on hold until you remember to come back to the game.
• Can I get my accounts and character/s reinstated?o The admins may be contacted via PM, and reinstatement will be considered on a case by case basis. We understand that stuff happens; however, we also need to protect our active players from the unfortunate reality of Serial Flakers.
o IF your accounts are reinstated after a lengthy unexplained absence, it is up to you to PM those you were threading with to see if they wish to continue. Regardless, you are expected to re-request all your claims and post in an IC thread within seven days of your reactivation.
Last Updated: Dec 12th 2016