TOGGLE SIDEBAR
WELCOME BACK, Guest ( )
Dusty
Who is Dusty? Well I can tell you I am someone who enjoys creativity in many forms, the logic of code, the turn of a good phrase, historical genres (among many) and well-rounded written plots.

Hailing from the Southern Hemisphere, you may find me online at ‘weird’ times; however, it is just my time zone coming into play and I am always around every day at some point. So if you can’t find me in the Cbox, I am always available via PM.

Together, the founders have a combined experience level of over 50 years, so you are in good hands. So draw up a chair by the log fire and stay a while or longer and immerse yourself into the world that has been created here at Heart of the West!

Flint
Howdy all! You can call me Flint or Her Royal Highness or, of course, the ever popular Magnum PI, but if you can’t remember all that, I still answer to Tens :). I started writing when I was young but it wasn’t until my college years that I discovered RP. Yeah, never looked back, haha. I adore characters and plot lines and have way too many of them, if I’m being honest, but the heart wants what the heart thinks it wants! I play mainly males, finding them to be more comfortable in my mind, but I have my odd princess and I’m always ready to play! I do some graphic work for the site, advertising, and canon writing, and I can always help any of you with app and sizing issues, so just holler!
Shooter
Shooter has been writing with her fellow admins for up to five years! In 2014 she earned her degree in graphic design and now uses her skills to edit images for the site as well as design the maps for the area. Think of her as Heart of the West's personal cartographer and unqualified city planner. Fun fact; The Devil's Cradle Saloon used to be called The Blue Larkspur, this is the name of a plant as well as a race horse, a sport Shooter follows closely. Blue Larkspur raced for a stable called Idle Hour, which is the name of the hotel in Woodhurst. Every place on the maps has its own story!
Indy
Indy arrived at HOTW to assist in written aspects of the site as well as moral support and has been role-playing for a decade now. In the past she has written in such genres as fandom, historic, and fantasy. She has a bachelor's degree in history and is currently a high school world geography teacher.

Outside of writing, she enjoys video games and long walks on the beach. ...Not really. She hates the ocean.

Blue
Blue came over to the HoTW to assist with coding and general admin duties. During weekdays there is always an excellent chance that she is lurking about the site as work gives her the flexibility to do so. So if you are about, swing on into the cbox and say hello!

Additionally, Blue is one of those weird math and science people who also enjoys writing, and she has been writing for over ten years. She loves good plotting, character development, and is always a sucker for a happy ending.

Closed
New Poll

Food Names Used in the Old West, Slang to liven up your vocabulary!
Flint
 Posted: Apr 10 2017, 11:40 PM
Admin

online status
Old
occupation
Batman
romantic partner
1480 posts
Flint
alias
Awards

Food Names Used in the Old West

If anyone's ever read Mark Twain, they know that there were some interesting turns of phrase in the old west. While the era was closer to modern times than the Shakespearean age, there were still terms that baffle the mind in this day and age. As members of the staff have discovered, this was particularly true when it came to food and drink in the 1800's. We've borrowed terms compiled from 27 Cowboy Slang Terms in hopes of giving our members a broader look at just how much has changed! Also, this makes for a great quiz to see just how much the history buffs in your life really know! Credit on this source goes out to Wayfarer!

1. Bear Sign: Doughnuts

2. Overland trout: Bacon

3. Blue John: Skimmed milk

4. Boggy-top: A pie with no top crust

5. Cackleberries: Eggs

6. Charlie Taylor: A butter substitute made of sorghum or syrup mixed with fat. It wasn't good, and apparently neither was Charlie Taylor, who was terrible enough to lend his name to the unpopular trail staple.

7. Hen-fruit Stir and Long Sweetenin': Pancakes and molasses

8. Horse Thief Special / Spotted Pup: Rice or tapioca pudding with raisins

9. Hot Rock / Sinker / Dough gods: Biscuits

10. Huckdummy: Biscuits with raisins

11. Love Apples: Canned tomatoes

12. Music Roots: Sweet potatoes

13. Mysteries: Sausage of any variety, so-called because that's what they're made of

14. Bee-sweetenin’: Honey

15. Pecos Strawberries / Mexican Strawberries / Whistle Berries: Beans

16. Roastineer: To "roast an ear" of corn over the fire while still in its husk

17. Salt Horse: Corned beef

18. Saltwater Vegetables: Oysters or clams

19. Texas Butter: Gravy

20. Skunk eggs: Onion

21. Son-of-a-gun Stew (or if there are no womenfolk present, Son-of-a-bitch Stew): Stew made of whatever is available and the organs of a recently-slaughtered calf. So-called because the son-of-a-gun young cattle can't keep up on the trail.

22. Wasp Nest: Bread

And don’t forget drinks:

23. Six-shooter Skink / Float a Horseshoe / Arbuckle's / Brown Gargle / Jamoka: Coffee

24. Belly Wash / Soda Pop / Black Water: Really weak coffee

25. John Barleycorn / Purge / Hop Juice: Beer

26. Nose Paint / Pop Skull / Prairie Dew / Rebel Soldier / Red Eye / Snake Pizen / Tarantula Juice / Tongue Oil / Tonsil Paint / Tornado Juice / Busthead / Bottled Courage / Family Disturbance / Gut Warmer / Kansas Sheep Dip: Whiskey

27. And a shot of whiskey with a beer chaser is a boilermaker and his helper.

Created by Blitzy of Caution 2.0
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Closed
New Poll

Vote for our Site | Resource Sites | Our Site Sisters
RPG Initiative Topsites Shadowplay Topsites Top RP Sites Top RP Sites
RPG Initiative Distant Fantasies Ruby Wings Listings width= RPG-D
Moorland Manor
Static Affiliates
skinned by missy.